Originally Posted by MILES58
I can understand the desire for deer to drop on the spot every time. I cannot begin to fathom trying to make that happen though. Making it happen is a matter of applying overkill to the degree that meat loss, substantial meat loss is as certain as can be accomplished. There is zero point in that.

Deer can be killed and dropped where they stand without wrecking a lot of good meat. Deer can be killed and dropped on the spot with minimal meat loss and very, very high consistency. Applying my 300 WM with 130-150 grain BT bullets can do the same thing but it's so close to wanton waste as to be indistinguishable to me

Deer shot properly are highly recoverable even when the is zero blood trail. Well shot deer rarely go more than 100 yards, and it does not take all that long to cover just over two acres of ground to find them. Most of them will be about 50 yards or less which leaves well under an acre to search. If you consider that you generally know the direction a deer went when it departed, that reduces the search area a bunch. I have recovered deer by flashlight in hyper dense aspen cuttings when they made it far enough to disappear and then mad a right angle turn.

If you are out the to shoot a deer to eat you're better advised to learn to find them after the shot. If you're out there to really put the smack down on Bambi to impress yourself or someone else, do us all a favor and find something else to do.

Miles,

Much of what you describe is easier to do in areas where you and I are likely to hunt as opposed to these where the OP hunts.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell