At times, I think there can be too much of a good thing. Many moons ago I acquired a 30-378 and loaded it to near max potential. I get into some big country and wanted serious reach and knock down power.

So, it's 180 grain Nosler Combined Technology slugs (a steel cup holding the rear portion of lead) and they leave right at 3,400 fps. To date it's done a moose, 3 caribou, and 4 elk. Nothing has taken more than a couple post shot steps.

My main concern though comes from 3 of the elk where I had the classic just behind the shoulder heart lung shots. Each of those clipped rib on the way in and never left a mark on the far side of the body cavity. Some would consider those premium slugs, but they are obviously exploding with not much in the way of penetration. Maybe just a bit too much speed. Animals die though, so I guess I have no serious complaints.

I do have a 45-70 but have not taken anything with that one yet. I suspect a 405 grainer moving at about 1,750 fps will give me a serious exit wound.

1Minute