Finn always cut to the heart of it. Met him at the SHOT Show in 1998, if I recall correctly,, and among other things we had a good talk about cartridges for big game, finding our experience was pretty much the same--that if a good bullet landed in the right place, and penetrated and expanding sufficiently, then then the "caliber" and weight didn't matter much. He loved my story about Eileen making 10 one-shot kills in a row with her then primary big game rifle, a Browning A-Bolt .270, on animals from pronghorn to bull moose. We made plans to hunt together in Texas, but unfortunately he passed away not long afterward, before that could happen.

However, both Eileen and I did get to know Berit very well doon after that, and got to hunt and shoot with her. Through her got to look through Finn's personal handloading/hunting notes, and realized again how similar our experience had been with various cartridges, bullets and rifles.

One of Finn's most interesting comments was how he found only about 1/3 of safari clients were able to shoot various .300 magnums accurately enough to kill big game consistently. Have an outfitter friend here in Montana who puts the percentage a little lower.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck