I've been using the .270 for nearly 40 years now. I've used other stuff (.30/06, 7x57, .25/06, .243,) now and then, but the primary rifle was always a .270. I had a gunshop owner who treated me right while I was at Ft. Bragg, and when I told him I wanted a M77R Ruger, he ordered up the $10 upgrade to the stock, and got me a pretty one (nice marbled walnut) and I ordered up the .458 steel trigger guard and floorplate (normal was aluminum). I shot that one until the bore was 'shot'. Then I went to Model 70s, and was/am pretty happy with them. I'm still using the second M70 (the first was a Featherweight, but it didn't fit me well) a Classic SM (Classic action, Synthetic Matte finish, cheap stock, which I replaced) They'll probably bury me with that one. I've had a couple Howas, too, but always went back to the Winchester.

When I was messing around with the "other" rifles, I noted that they killed stuff just as dead, just as quick, if I put the bullet in the right place. No news there. Shoot straight, and stuff dies, no matter what you shoot it with. But I like my .270, and will keep it around for the duration.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.