My second rifle that was "mine", that is, not provided to me by a parent was a MarkX action in .270. Shot my second elk with it and numerous deer, then got the 06' itch. That MKX moved on but I do have a JC Higgens .270 Husky sitting in the safe that needs to come out for a little fresh air one of these days. The reason I got the .270 in the first place was because of the influence from my stepfather who had an old pre 64 win in .270 that he had been hunting with since the late 40's. He shot more elk with that rifle than anyone we knew and he provided a lot of meat for decades. I saw him shoot elk starting with my first hunt in 1974 and he continued killing elk with the Win. and Remington 130 gr. bronze point ammo til' he "stepped up" to a Colt Sauer in 300 Weatherby about 1985. He thought his old Win. had finely gone to the dark side having lost its accuracy from what was perceived as a shot out barrel (he realized later it just needed a thorough scrubbing but stuck with the Weatherby). I suppose the 300 put them down harder but they didn't seem to be more dead than what the .270 produced. At the age of 75, he shot his last elk, cut it up and packed it out by himself...he hung up the Colt Saur and decided he liked T-bone steaks better.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton