I have killed two cape buffalo, and I don`t think there are many critters as tough, with solid bullets, so I guess it is correct to say that a well placed shot will kill almost anything with anything,

And do it rather efficiently when the animal is completely unaware of the hunter's presence like I would normally think is the case when taking the long shots that have become so trendy these days.

With this said, and encouraged by other's success with Scenars I bought a box of 136gr Ls to test and they proved to be quite accurate at 2,830 fps in a 6,5x57R with almost no fiddling. Out of curiosity I sectioned one lengthwise to find that the jacket in the hollow section of the tip appeared to be much thicker than that in other bullets of similar design, which left me scratching my head over its expansion properties in certain conditions like not hitting bone when impacting at low speed on a small animal.

For curiosity's sake I shot a roe deer doe in the lungs at 300 yds and I could only recover it with the help of my Bavarian Mountain Bloodhound. Maybe it was just bad luck because the bullet slipped in and out the thorax barely grazing a rib, but the fact is that the doe run for 300-350 yds like unscathed. I knew the exact spot where it was standing and could only find a few hairs and a speck of blood a couple of yards behind and nothing else.

I never argue with success, but that was the only scenar I shot at an animal.

Last edited by chamois; 06/30/21. Reason: spelling