JohnW,

I'm sure you know this, but when one starts contemplating shots at somewhere around 300 yards and beyond, then wind deflection starts to be a very real issue. One great thing about Scenar bullets (like the Berger VLDs) is that they have great aerodynamics (as indicated by ballistic coefficient), which means they drift a lot less in the wind compared to conventional lead tipped bullets. The question is how the various Scenars (like the .264" 123 gr Scenar) behave when they contact deer and elk-sized creatures.

Shooting deer at under 200 yards doesn't pose any great questions regarding bullets, ballistics, etc., so one just needs to use conventional hunting bullets. Preparing to possibly shoot animals farther than 200 yards means that a person needs to maximize the odds to being dead on target EVERY time with an effective bullet. Reducing wind drift means reducing the potential error due to variable winds and other issues.

When all of my hunting was in the woods, I didn't care about things like wind drift and bullet BC and other such issues, but if I'm going after skittish pronghorns on the open plains in public hunting areas, I want to know that everything in the shooting system, including the bullet, is going to maximize my opportunity for success.