Just a reminder, I already have a 257 wby (and a 240 as well).

Based on my limited personal experence with the 7mm rm, it is a ho-hum killer of deer. I would attribute the relatively slow speed of the 150-160 gr bullets I typically shoot as the cause. In comparision, I have shot quite a few deer with my 270 win with 130s at 3050 pfs and it has always impressed me.

my current 7mm rm is a win 70 with a shilen barrel at 24". I really have no desire to experiment with loads and pressure and would be happy to buy a box of 270 wby ammo once per year or so at $39 to have speedy loads right out of the box.

the more deer I shoot, the more I am convinced that speed kills the quickest. I blood trailed a deer shot buy one of my guest last week for 300 yards on my hands and knees in briars and decided that I did not like that much. I found the deer, shot between the gut and lung that took some time to expire. the hunter could not even tell me what grain bullets he was shooting in his 270. they looked really long so I was guessing 150.

my point is that I think I would rather have a speedy out of the box 270 wby than a 7mm rm that I had to fool around with. who knows, maybe I just want something new to play with. I can screw a new tube on in 270 wby for $400 so that's cheaper than buying a vanguard at wally world and then buying a scope.

well see how long this itch will last.

I have a 8x56 swarovski ph that would be just right!