Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Boy I'm failing to grasp statements I'm reading here. The 7mm RM is a ho-hum killer where a .270 130 gr. impresses. AGW states the 7mm RM does not kill as efficiently as the 7X57...WTF???

Heres the rub I guess. I cannot tell you within thousands, how many animals I have killed whereas most authorities can state an actual number, usually from a few to a few dozen.

My personal record, at least one I can remember, was 100 kills in 3 hours during a cull. Usually we counted the misses or the animals that required more than one shot then counted the cases we went through at the end of a hunt to work out the numbers. Mostly, we shot and moved on looking for more.

Let me give you an example. I hunted a large property where the owner had never seen his own back fence. These properties are measured in millions of acres here. I wanted a particular species to hunt. The typical retort from the property owner was to name several other species and order us to kill everyone on sight. If he did not find bodies on the ground we would not be welcome back.

That my friend is bullet testing medium.

We are talking deer sized animals here which is why the .270 Weatherby was compared to the 7mm Remington. I already stated my feeling was that the .270 bullets being manufactuered for the standard .270 Winchester was most likely the reason for the faster kills compared to the 7mm.

I am very comfortable with someone else having a different opinion because it does not detract from what I experienced.

The 7x57 using the lighter weight cup and core bullets offers enough velocity to open game bullets in that caliber and performs along the magnums in that caliber up to most "usual" hunting distances. The fact that it has mild recoil and a soft report compared to the magnums means that most hunters shoot it very well neither being intimidated by the baggage of the magnums.

What makes my comments relevent is that these observations were made during my most magnum oriented period where I was pushing velocities to the limit and going up in case capacity and bore size until animals dropped with no tracking whatsoever.

The 7x57 stands out in my cerebral HDD because during that time, I noticed animals falling over to the shot, over and over again, which was exactly what I was trying to achieve using the medium magnums.

That is the very reason I went back to the 7mm Mauser.

I'll say it again, in my experience, on deer sized game, the .270 Weatherby kills game more emphatically than the 7mm Remington. Emphatically, by my definistions means that for every hundred animals you shoot, there is a higher percentile that respond similarly to the shot.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.