Originally Posted by Burleyboy
What do you guys think of the plasma spray on liners companies are using on the cylinder walls of their aluminum black engines instead of iron liners?

I know find has been going it on their coyote 5.0 in the f150 since 2018 and lots of guys are complaining of excess oil use.

The new Mopar hurricane inline 6 is also a no iron sleave plasma coated aluminum.

For claims it says the 8 pounds weight on a 5.0 but I'm sure they're doing it because it's cheaper. So much for having your block bored out and resleaved I guess.

Maybe they don't want us being like Cuba. After we go full communist they don't want us keeping our cars on the road forever.

I'm not really excited about the spray on liners. Just as i became interested in the coyote they went spray on. I used to be a gm v8 guy and liked the gm 5.3 and 6.2 quite a bit until the last 3 or so years. I know several people that have had major problems with gm V8s the last few years. Lots of valve issues and other things. That's left me liking the hemi 5.7 that was in my 2019 ram even more but those are going away too.

I think they're building obsolescence into the V8s lately. Probably the green commies in the government and the esg push from investors like Blackrock.

I've got friends and family that got over 300,000 miles on 2000-2006 gm 5.3s without any engine troubles. I just don't think they build them like that anymore.

Bb

I've got a couple of Acuras including a 2010 TL. That series was available with either a 3.5 that makes 280 HP and a 3.7 that makes a bit over 300. Essentially, they're the same engine. But to increase the displacement on the 3.7 they left off the cast iron cylinder liners and chose to coat the aluminum cylinders with some sort of super hard plating. The plating on the 3.7 motors flakes off and fouls the piston rings. Those motors are junk. The 3.5s with the cast iron cylinder liners are bullet proof. My TL has the 3.5.

Also,....Honda's engineers are fairly creative. They've developed a "thing" they call "VTEC" on many motors.

It's a separate intake cam that is activated by oil pressure. Some of the cams are calibrated for efficiency and some are for performance. On the TLs the second intake valve cam is much more radical than the primary cam,...much more lift and duration. At 4000 rpm the second cam is activated and you can really feel it when it happens. It's much like "kicking in the 4 barrel" on an old small block chevy. It comes on all of a sudden.

It's a fun car to play with out on the interstate. But it'll get you a ticket if you're not careful with it.