Well, I haven't carried a Zippo (naptha) lighter since my Navy days. Are guys still packing them? Nowadays, I think most guys carry Bic lighters or the fancier "storm proof" refillable lighters based fueled by liquid butane under pressure. Personally, I haven't had good luck with butane at very low temps and high altitudes. I did a little surfing and it looks like isobutane burns down to about 15 degree F. I also found a number of complaints about butane lighters that failed to work at above 9000 feet. I have a nice lighter as part of my gear (Christmas present years back) but I don't count on it.

As for large fires, back when I worked in the woods in NW Montana things were a bit more relaxed. When I am packing, I don't mind treading lightly and leave little sign of my passing. If I am jammed due to weather, an injury or other circumstances, I don't care if I have to clearcut a thicket and burn a cord of wood. The trees will grow back. As for 'fessing up, I agree with the line in the cheesy movie where the guys get caught in the Alaska bush. Shame will kill a man. If I need to be rescued, I'm not overly particular about who does it... as long as it gets done. smile

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.