Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

I was thinking of a kit, as big or as small as you would like, in a stuff sack that lives in your pack, that if you were sick or injured or in some way constrained, might provide some insurance in a marginal situation.

My version: a can or two of Sterno (also fits your favorite alcohol burner), Vargo Hexagon wood stove, 1qt. cup with cover, or canteen cup with cover, water, your favorite make water taste good, want to drink, provides heat, calories motivational additive (coffee, tea, instant soup, hot coco with marshmallows, etc.), favorite bars, from Metrex to Snickers, (2) heat sheets ((1) as a "tarp", (1) to wrap up in), a candle, a bit of foam pad to insulate my butt from the ground (maybe your pack pad?) and several chemical hand warmers (I carry 12: back of neck(1), arm pits(2), kidney region(2) and groin(1)).

If I'm mobile, theres lots I can do to improve my situation. If I have my pack, better. I carry, on my person, multiple ways to start a fire, and I carry tinder. In my pack, I keep a fire kit, and tools to render burnable wood, but I don't carry fuel wood. If I'm constrained to one place, I have available what's in arms reach, and perhaps, what's in my pack, and my pocket/belt litter.

It provides; shelter heat, hydration, calories, instant fire, and a handy wind screen,that burns twigs, and that protects your incipient fire lay, from wind/precipitation.

In addition to what you may or may not be carrying, to help you get through a cold wet night.

Respectfully submitted.

Regards, Jim

Last edited by alligator; 01/04/15.