Your experiences and what and how you move in the wild is exactly like mine. I also use sweat as a guide to being comfortable and instantly change my activity in the cold. I wear a hankerchief around my neck (cotten) as a wind break and air trapper. Depending on the weather, it comes off and will get tied to my head to absorb sweat. In the spring, summer and early fall I have to put up with sweating somewhat. I live in the high desert with canyons and mountains as terrain to go into.

So often I find myself looking at the ground when walking-hiking and then I remind myself to walk and NOT look at the ground. It is something that quite a few people have a hard--- if not impossible time ---doing. It can get you in trouble with a stumble or two but go slow. Your walking speed has to slow down as we're not as sure footed as a 4 legged creature who never looks down at the ground when meandering.

WRT Ipods or anything else that's used by a companion sport, it makes no difference to me what goes on as long as I don't have to put up with it. I hate radios on camping-hunting trips except to check the weather channel. Now that you guys can plug into ear phones and I don't have to listen to it, GREAT laugh

Yep, I'm from the old school....having read too much of mountain men and the like and what they experienced. And I'm in no way a tough old fart mountain man type who thinks the high tech stuff doesn't have a place. I am too hedonistic and don't like to be uncomfortable but to add to this I like to bivy out and a poncho always goes with me in the fall and winter....for sure. The music I listen to doesn't need batteries.

I've almost covered the whole trail Lewis and Clark made while in Idaho and I vicariously relive those fantastic times. It all started with reading Stephen Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage" and I've got to say it's wonderful reading, IMO. Check it out !!!