As Mike indicated, we have had pike introduced illegally or accidentally- probably the former - here on the KP. One such place that had (perhaps still does??) is Sevena lake, from which drains Soldotna Creek, into the Kenai River. Hence the salmon concerns. I'm not sure if they treated that lake, but they should have. When pike on the KP comes up, I always think of this incident. Close to me, Mackey Lakes are also float plane lakes that have or had 1-2 lb hammer-handles, mostly. But I was looking for bigger fish.

I was looking for access to Sevena Lake for pike fishing and followed the only narrow single-lane road to it- a couple miles long, that ended at a home site or homestead on the lake. A guy came boiling out and demanded what I was doing. I apologized, stating my intent, asking if I could put my canoe in there. He cooled down, and said I was welcome to go fishing any time. That 2 mile or so road was all his private drive, across wet muskeg mostly, put in by himself, at his own labor and expense. And yes, there is a "Private Drive" sign, and sometimes locked gate on it where it leaves public Robinson Loop.

I was subbing at the local schools, and one of the teen girls in a class some time later asked if her dad "had been mean" to me. I assured her he had not been. She then related that the fall before some bozo out moose hunting had parked his new F250 midway along the road, blocking it, locked, then gone hunting off-road, when her dad had to go to town. Or at least wanted to.

He backed all the way back up to his yard, climbed on the D8, cleared the road, and went to town.

Last edited by las; 03/04/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.