fakahatchee;
Good afternoon, well evening no doubt for you all, welcome to the 'Fire from just across the medicine line in south central BC.

Again with the firm understanding I'm an expert in not very much and big cats aren't part of that.

When we have a bad winter here, it's not unusual at all for ranch and rez horses to get clipped by a cougar.

As well I recall hearing that the late guide outfitter from one valley east of us was pushing a big tom one winter and it killed 3 adult moose in a bit more than a week. He figured that was unusual and it wouldn't have done that if they hadn't been pushing it.

Still and all, one has to imagine wrestling a horse or moose down with your teeth and claws when it outweighs you several fold and isn't remotely interested in going gently into any good night has to take a fair amount of determination.

If I was guessing then and for sure it's that - a guess - I'd guess maybe it's somewhat learned behavior in that the western ones learn to kill bigger stuff and more variety of stuff.

Again welcome to the 'Fire.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"