Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
IF the bear is REALLY intent on mauling-killing you and it's not just a bluff charge, wait until it's within 15 yards...ESP with a 12 gauge..

.......You'll have time at 12 yards to rack the pumpgun and shoot again once after the initial shot to the face.Jim

No, you won't. If that bear is "really intent on mauling-killing you" at 12 yards you will not have enough time to shoot, shuck a second round, and shoot again. If that bear is coming hard and you wait till 12 yards to shoot, even if you kill him DR-F-T his momentum could very well run you down. Assuming of course that in your scenario he is running at you full tilt. Bears hit full tilt in about 3 feet. And 12 yards is about two bounds for a big grizz.

After reading this entire thread, and the other similiar thread, I've come to the conclusion that not very many people have any concept of how fast bears are. How quickly they hit top speed when they are motivated.

If a bear is coming for you, a motivated bear, intent on killing you, and you were not aware of him prior to him being inside of 25 yards, or if you weren't on a hair trigger, cocked and unlocked with that weapon up, the next thing you would know was that you were being shat out the south end of a north bound bear.

All this talk of "where do I aim" is fine and dandy, when you are behind a keyboard. In a true to life situation even if you know that bear is there, and you are becoming aware of his intentions to you prior to him coming for you, the absolute best the average joe is going to be able to pull off is a center-of-mass shot at a brown blur.

An experienced guy, might have a bit of a better chance if he reads the situation properly and has a killing intent on that bear before he gets determined...

"As a new member to the forum, I live up in Alberta and do alot of wilderness camping with my boys very close to the rockies.
I always carry my reliable 870 12ga. pump with magnum slugs and 00buck, and always wondered exactly where to place the slug with a charging grizz within 25-50 yds."

A 12 gauge won't be worth a damn at much past 12 yards..and unlike some, I can work a good pump pretty fast close in...Agreed not much time but I could get three off in less than 2 seconds..

Would I survive a determined big bear's charge at 12 yards with a 12 gauge??
Who knows..:) but I'd either live or die trying..as will most who find themselves on the receiving end of a close charge by powerful dangerous game..:) Jim