Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
AlaskaCub

When you get my age you are more concerned about still being alive with no damned good reason..Jim

Trust me , I know what you mean. As I get older it seems that my mind tends to think too much about stuff that I never used to even consider. [bleep] me up from time to time honestly, as I mostly end up thinking about my boy and the phone call my wife may or may not end up getting from some stranger. But hell, thats hunting in Alaska pretty much regardless of species targeted. My gut check alarm was going off like crazy last year when me and my pard landed on a brown bear infested lake on Kodiak completely on a dice roll that we could hike and find goats. Only problem was we were surrounded by brown bear that we could literally see from the air. Man I was doing some serious gut checks and weighing pros and cons and we ended up squashing the plan on a hunch. Only a few hours later I was face to face with a hungry brown on a dead run in my direction after a deer I just shot, and closing in on 60 yards with my crosshairs all over his head. Its Alaska jim, chit happens, and often when you least expect it. I can tell you one thing, it constantly reminds you that your alive!....grin. I wont trade that for nothin!

Oh and I leave May 16th for my annual griz hunt, hope to have some pics for you when I get back!