I have had more than a couple uncomfortable experiences with Grizzlies and browns but fortunately have not had to kill one as of yet in self defense. IMO grizzies ar very fast, I have watched a grizzly take down a bull caribou twice and attribute the kills to strategy more than speed though speed definately helped. I was on the north slope hunting Caribou back in like 1996. We were along the Kuparik river, I awoke to a mountain house rumbling volcano in my stomach and had to get out of my bag and take care of business badly. I walked as far as my stomach would allow from camp (I was hurting bad) and squatted down in some brush to release the demons inside me, as I was taking care of much needed business my eyes started to survey the landscape to see if anything was out and about (its huge country). As I looked around , keep in mind, my trous were around my ankles no weapon nearby, I suddenly caught movement out of the corner of my eye and I quickly shifted my eyes to the movement. It was a mediumish Caribou Bull running at full tilt down the edge of the Kuparik in the brush and as he blasted past me at about 25 yards, I caught a second movement out of the corner of my eye and when I looked I about double chit myself! It was a mediumish sized griz also running at full tilt pursuing this Caribou. As that griz barreled past me at the same 25ish yards I coulda sat right in my own chit to avoid being spotted. All I kept thinking was "Please dont see me , Please dont see me!" I had no weapon and my pards were sleeping like babies no more than 40 yards away That [bleep] ran past me and never even saw me, having his full focus of attention on the caribou in front of him. I would have been [bleep] had he seen me and thought [bleep] chasing this one I'll eat the one that aint running, and this bear was in full predator mode. To watch how fast that grizzly covered ground from so close away was plain [bleep] amazing! He ended up getting the bull at the top of the hill as the bull went right around the rocks and the bear went left and they ran right into each other. I awoke my buds in rapid fashion once I was done chitting myself literally. I now never leave camp to take care of business without a weapon as I have twice been caught off guard by a griz while taking a chit and it aint no fun!