Add me to the list of guys that really miss Allen Day's posts.
I got a "QUICK" introduction to Allen and the respect he commanded from others. I first encountered Allen about 10-11 years ago over on the old Outdoorlife forums. I was reading these post from this obviously over confident wack job, who talked about killing lions, and all sorts of african game, Bears, Elk, etc etc. Naturally as a twently something, I assumed him to be a poser, and called him out. BIG MISTAKE! APPARENTLY, this guy was for real. He and about 20 other people let me know it too. I had one guy who e-mailed me for days reminding me I was not $hit. Allen BLASTED me for in his words "Hiding behind a internet handle" instead of posting by my name.
I had managed to ruin my Fourm reputation be for it even started. lol
I quickly dummped the handle and shut my mouth and learned some stuff for a few years. I read almost everything he posted here and over at Accurate reloading for a Decade. If he had a fan club then I guess I was a charter member!

About 3 years ago I got to see the real side of Allen. He helped me with every aspect of building the best semi-custom rifle I could afford. My Left handed MRC 1999 was not Mr Days cup of tea, but he was so helpful in helping me put it together right. I can honestly say I never went against his advice during the course of this project, and dozens of dozens of PM's (hell I hope I didn't burn him out) I totally followed his choice for my Stock choice, caliber, barrel length, scope choice.
And NO my rifle is not a .300 win mag, lol grin Allen was quick to suggest just that (IMAGINE THAT) , but I was honest with him; letting him know I was not comfortable going with a belted mag. I had developed a flinch with a Belted mag a few years ealier that took me a while to get rid of. He totally understood and of the
calibers I was intrested in (270,280,30-06) he suggested the time proven -06 for my all around gun. Argue with that right!
He also put me in contact with Darcey Echols, and Mark Penrod, who both spoke highly of Allens knowledge as a rifleman. Echols was a blast, we talked for over 1/2 hour and he knew I wasn't even going to have him do work. I did want a Echols Lefty stock but that never materialized in time.
Mr Day where ever you are, your conversations are missed! Would love to meet you some day, if not in this life, the next in Heaven. I know he'll be there, becuase we didn't always just talk about guns. smile

Last edited by MarkG; 08/27/08.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3