I just can't believe I am adding to this already long thread. But to the point, I have all the rounds that have been listed herein from the 25's to the 30cals including the Bob. I reload, hunt everything from Moose to pine squirels. I can't really find fault with any of the my guns or the rounds fired in them. But the man asked which - 25/06 or 7/08? My answer is this: 1. do you reload? If so, what other cals do you reload for? Maybe you can do some sharing like powder or brass, yes brass. (I use only Lapua brass in my 3/08 parent case guns and re-form them to the cal I need) - (I do the same with all my 30/06 based rounds too). 2. If you like the 25/06 and want it with a longer barrel for the full potential of that round, but don't want a overly long gun, get a Ruger #1. Mine shoots in the low 3's all day long with handloads (so don't let anyone tell you a Ruger won't shoot - I'd have to call BS big time). 3. MONEY, how much do you want to spend? Will this gun be for deer only?, deer and elk, or deer and yotes?

As for my choice, I match the gun, not so much the round, to the hunting situation. I have killed everything from yotes to moose to black bear with a 7/08. I have killed untold numbers of field varmits, deer, pigs and a black bear with the 25/06. My 25/06 is a #5.5 barrel, 26in and it's set up to be shot from a rest or sticks or at least leaning on a tree. But she will but you lights out at 500yds and I have taken game with her at that range. My 7/08 two years ago took a mule deer at 700yds and it's a #3 barrel at 24 inchs. I used it last night in fact to kill a frickn coon in my barn at 15ft. The 7/08 is ment to carry and is made to handle the bad weather. (SHORT PAUSE TO BREATH) Look man here's what it comes down to, they are both great cals, they both come is some fine rifles, they both can be had easly. If you are going to shoot deer size and down, 25/06 if that's what you want. If deer size and up is the game, I'd go with the 7/08. In any case, reload, shoot more, drink lots of beer, and enjoy life.

Doug