Originally Posted by Big_Chief
still havnt heard a single situation where the 30 06 is the best choice, bassically there is no argument the 30 06 is a compromise no matter what. and a crossbow is a better hunting tool than a compound thats why i use it if i was allowed to use a gun i would have and it sure as sh&t wouldnt have been some lame 30 06

Okay, I guess I'll play. If you had to choose a single rifle, one with very few characteristics which might be confused as "bells or whistles," one which can and has been used to take virtually any and every kind of animal in North America including walrus - the only mammal we have that resembles the heavier stuff of Africa, a cartridge which is neither so fast that it needlessly wastes portions of critter intended for food nor has such a looping trajectory as to make many shots a challenge, a cartridge which is both easy enough to shoot while still employing sufficent power..........if you had to choose a single cartridge, the list of them would be very short, and the 30 caliber of 1906 would surely be on it, and right at the top of mine. And that's probably only the tip of the iceburg.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.