Big Chief �

Clearly, you�re an idiot.

Deer or elk in cover, all you need is a .30-30.

Deer or elk long range, the .30-06 will add 45-50 yards to what a .308 Win can do.

Magnums are sometimes flatter shooting than the .30-06, depending on the loads in question, but at long range the difference is often surprisingly small. I shoot my three .30-06s out to 500 yards, well beyond the range at which I�ve taken game. The magnums also provide more recoil, often significantly so, and often with no difference in terminal effect.

A survey I read a couple years back said the number one cartridge carried by Alaskan guides was still the .30-06. Do you suppose they would do so if they thought it was inadequate?

My cartridge of choice for backyard dangerous game is a .45-70 Marlin loaded with my �Rhino Blaster� handloads - 460g hardcast running 1812fps. Living where I do, however, the most dangerous game I�m likely to see is two-legged scumbags and the .30-06 has a pretty decent record against such game.

Is the .30-06 a compromise? I have news for you � ALL cartridges are a compromise. The .30-06 just happens to be a very well balanced compromise that can cover almost any situation most hunters find themselves in. I�ve got a .30-30, .308 Win and a .300 Win Mag and among these cartridges the .308 Win is the best all-around compromise for my purposes. The .308 Win can, in fact, do ALMOST everything as well as my three .30-06s can � but not quite.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.