Guys, you are going off on him, and half of you aren't even responding to his comment, you are just calling him names. I am reasonably sure that he is a troll, but he makes a very valid point.

The .30-06 is not the best choice for any hunting situation. But most of us don't really care that a .220 Swift is flatter shooting or faster. And the fact that a .35 Norma lobs a bigger chunk of lead is moot in most cases. So does a .50 BMG. Most people are smart enough to know that while there is always a better cartridge that will do a specific job better than the .30-06, there is no cartridge out there that can do ALL the jobs a .30-06 can do. The thing that makes the .30-06 shine, and the reason it is still the benchmark other cartridges are judged against is because it is reasonably good for just about anything. I have several, and none of them are on the top of my list for specific kinds of hunting. Normally I have one cartridge or another that will do a particular job better or with less recoil. But if I had to pick one gun to hunt with, everywhere, it would be a .30-06. Not my favorite for anything, but with handloads I could make it work just about anything on the planet. From ground squirrels to really big critters. And while he is trolling to get people riled up, his arguement is sound. Next time don't fall for his inflamatory comments. He wants you to jump up and down like the monkeys at the zoo when he pokes a stick in the cage. Either agree or disagree, and state your reasons why. Anything else just gives him the reaction he was looking for. If you don't get all bent out of shape, he will either give up and go elsewhere, or give up on making stupid remarks because nobody is reacting the way he wants them to.

-Mb

Him that came down from the trees