Dude got what he asked for ---- An emotionl challenge gets emotional responses with equal respect.

Originally Posted by Big_Chief
man the 30 06 basically is a useless caliber unless you like junk. first of all i would challenge anyone to name a situation where there isnt a better caliber for the job.
- deer sized game in cover, 308 works better in short bbls
- deer sized game long range, magnums are flatter shooting
- elk sized game in cover again 308 or similar is more ideal
- elk sized game long range, again a magnum is better
- big bears, 06 is not enough gun
- dangerous game, 06 again is not suitable

so dont bother to rant on about your 3006 being all you need because i agree but there is no doubt that the 06 your lugging around all over the place is nothing but a compromise and there will always be a better tool for the job. kind of like using a ratchet as a hammer, weve all done it and it works but it works like crap

BUT let's examine his logic

- deer sized game in cover, 308 works better in short bbls
Does that mean the the 06 performs worse than the 308 in these areas - NOPE.. This doesn't make it junk.

- deer sized game long range, magnums are flatter shooting
Again this doesn't mean you don't get good kill energy at those distance, you just have to know ballistics. If you understand the "flatter" you also understand it's not a whole hell of alot flatter - so in th end unless your adding a whole lot of powder column this is somewhat bullchit.

- elk sized game in cover again 308 or similar is more ideal
Ah the first bullchit, we're grasping at straws now... Often (more than I'd like) elk are shot across a drainage at 300+ with a heavy bullet the 06 is better..

** at this point one has to assume that chef rides back to camp to get another rifle when he leaves the dark timber... or for that point there are no fields where he lives because he never gets a shot at a buck over a decent sized corn field.

- elk sized game long range, again a magnum is better
- True but not for the average shooter - if you can't shoot a magnum as well as a 06 you should stick with the 06. Old wise men will tell you this, but hey, ya weren't listening in the first place where ya. Again this goes to ballistics, skill, and common sense (which is more rare than ever).

Personally I agree with bigger dangerous game = bigger gun

In the end the only way one could assume Chef is not living in a very small box.

1) If we ignore the fact that the 06 was choosen by the miliatry to be a rifle with the highest power that wouldn't make people flinch - aka it's very shootable, and many people screw up shots dangerous game "in a bad, bad way." Ask the most experienced guys about brown bear hunting and he'll tell you that the guy with a beat up 06 is much more likely to make a good shot than a magnumn guy - I forgot his name (alaskan guide Brown bear guy.. I think he is on the board).

2) If we ignore the fact that we don't carry two guns (rifles) while hunting for both short and long range that provides the best spread for each vs. having to pass shots - Lopes make a good example - shoot one with a light weigth 7mm mag with bullets designed to perform at 500 yds in a 7mm mag at 40 yards - you get half a lope... people do it all the time - maybe chef is one of these guys?

No short and long barrels aside the chambering is fine if not awsome.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/15/08.