Interesting thread, read and thought the same ? as above, what about a 6.5. Ran #s with a 7/120 vs a 6.5/120 using 3100 and 3000 respectively and the bc/sd are 417/213 vs 458/246. Interestingly they run within like 4 ft. lbs IIRC at 400 yds....now I did see a guy's data on reloaders nest, 3046 mv w/120 bt in a 260/24" bbl....unsure if custom or factory but that even closes the gap more in standard chambers..

The Blowhole Express I understand is a 6.5/280 AI at around 3200 mv.

My thoughts are that a 260 or 6.5x55 class cartridge should do very well with the 120 BTs, just not quite the trajectory, about 2.7" difference between 3k and 3.2k mv at 400 yds, and 160 fps, less than 200 lbs.

The real interesting point is a 130 AB in the 260 class at 2850 mv has 5 lbs more energy at 400 yds than the 6.5/280ai/120 load....that speaks volumes for using a 130 at modest speeds IMHO. Where I hunt, I don't feel the need the extra 200 fps but can imagine on a Bou hunt on the Tundra, super long shots present and it could be put to use. I also love short actions.

No doubt as to the effectiveness of 120s whether it's in Steve's 7/08 AI, or the 6.5 in the BlowHole Express.....or pushed a tad slower, I'd have complete confidence WITH SHOT Placement.....for most any NA big game hunting. Having used a 7/08 a good bit also, and with 139s, I'd have to imagine a 140 AB would be a very good combo in that round.....as I feel the 130 AB is for the 6.5 rounds. At the same time, I will take a new look at the 120s, esp. on deer.

Just goes to show you what shot placement using good bullets will do....and DZ comments about Chub, has reconfirmed my thoughts on using a mid size 6.5mm on a possible future AK Moose hunt.

Thanks DZ for taking your time to post the info and I hope you're Catholic Parish is growing well. Any chance that you might consider changing which side you shoot from? Other than having to change to Left handed rifles if you are right handed....or vice versa? I suspect you had a Rotator Cuff or Labral repair, sorry it did not produce better results whatever it was for you. Not that you want, but if you doubt the surgeon's skill considering post-op outcome, there is sometimes a good case for going back for a 'revision' by another surgeon....if you wanted to do that, just a thought I wanted to pass on - not knowing if you had contemplated it. Techniques and Implants used, as well as Surgeon skills vary widely.

Good luck to you on all endeavors, enjoyed your comments.