SLM,
It actually is so cool to be able to hunt exotics on federal or private lands, just look at the ring neck pheasant or hungarian partridge. Yet we want the priviledge of hunting the prey, with out having to compete with the natural predators (who might actually run us down). If we are going to have oryx and barbary sheep, should we not import lions and hyenas to keep the pop. in check. Pants Crapping Terror! Or could 'we' all as paying 'wildlife managers' do it ourselves? Doubtfull. It takes a state game agency to expand a non native crop, for federal PR & DJ monies. Look at the eurasian dove...NM has a hunting season on them...why? Because it means money in to coffers of worthless biological supervisors at the state level, when it should be a shoot to kill order. AZ does it, why don't we? If aoudads impact native desert sheep or eurasian dove impact morning doves or english house sparrows impact native song birds, when do we take a stand...or do we?
Personally, I would rather my wife pull a 'last of the mohicans' shot on a wild bull elk, then have to pay $100.00 for a state run can hunt. And that is all NM has become is an exotic game ranch. Plus, how much do ibex, orxy and aoudads eat, your not paying for the grazing rights, nor are they overhauling grass on your back 40 that your cows could me chewing on. It's the ecomonics of ecology and what this land will support. Native hebivores, yes. Non Natives, No.