I have shot and hunted with the 7x57 for 50 years or more..I have shot deer, antelope, elk, african plainsgame and even about 3 Cape Buffalo..I witnessed an elephant kill with one with a heart shot and that big boy went about 75 or so yards and expired.

All my 7x57s over the last number of years have been Brno M-21 or Mod 22s (Manlicher version) and a few G33-40 Mausers I built..I learned a lot from the Brnos, they have a 30-06 length box, and a real long throat, and in effect are 7x57s IMP. I can get 2913 FPS or a bit better depending on the gun with a 160 gr. Nosler and they will beat the 7 mag with factory ammo in the mag.
I only use H414 and go considerably over book max with those long throated guns...All my G33-40 were set up the same way..

I believe the 7x57 with proper handloading is the lightest recoiling rifle that I would hunt any animal on this planet with, it is not be ideal for the big bad stuff, but it WILL get the job done, if you do your part. That long as a pencil 175 gr. RN bullet will penetrate with the best of calibers and more than most.