Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just a few comments:

The latest versions of IMR4350 and H4350 are very close in burn rate. This is probably because Hodgdon owns both lines now, and doesn't want people getting into trouble with data that varies between the two 4350's. In my own rifles they act very similarly, with the same powder charge resulting in similar velocity and accuracy.

The 156 Oryx is probably my favorite 7x57 bullet in the 160-grain range. It is VERY accurate in my rifle, and while it penetrates pretty deeply, it tends to kill quicker than either the 160 Nosler Partition or 160 TSX, probably because it opens up wider than either of those.

In general, though, I have come to the conclusion that for deer-sized game, bullets in the 140-grain range kill more quickly than heavier bullets, due to the extra velocity. Favorites are are 140 Partition and Ballistic Tip, and the 139 Hornady, either flat-base or boattail.

I had a Juenke machine for a while and finally gave it up, because I was spending too much time spinning bulelts for relatively little gain. There's some correlation between the Juenke machine and accuracy, but evenually I decided not enough to worry over in hunting bullets. If I want extreme accuracy for longer-range shooting I just use Sierras, Ballistic Tips or Bergers.

Thanks again John for the reply here (and over in the reloading forum). The 156 gr Oryx has been of interest for a while--although I'm sure the 160 partitions would've sufficed for my intentions. I guess that's part of the adventure...learning about and field testing a 'new' (to me) hunting caliber.

If it was just for deer-sized game I probably would've stuck with the faster 140 grain bullets but I'm going to RSA and will have opportunity for some larger antelope and wildebeest.

Friend also had a Juenkie--but became a bullet 'junkie', spending a LOT of time fussing with spinning bullets. After a while we agreed that hunting accuracy can be realized with a methodical load and test regimen and factory premium bullets are 'good enough'.

Thanks again for the insight. Great to learn from the experienced 'campers'.

Rectum non bustus