Ah yes, my favorite cartridge.

It's hard to beat the Hornady 175gr Interlock for on-game performance. They simply hammer deer leaving a gaping exit. I use those in my old Ruger M77R tang. My other two 7x57s, Flaig's FN Mauser and Ruger M77R MkII, get the Hornady 154gr Interlock.

I almost hate to post load info. The old Ruger handles about 10% more powder than the other two rifles. The chamber is larger and the throat is longer. Not sure about the groove diameter but the difference between these rifles is drastic. For instance, the old Ruger likes 45gr H4350 with the 175gr slug, but the other two only want 41gr before troubles appear.

IIRC, I load the 154gr slug with 44gr of H4350 in the tighter rifles. I shot a deer with the Mauser last year from 300 yards with a stiff crosswind. I gave it 5 inches Kentuky windage and held at the top of the back. The bullet destroyed both shoulder bones and exited. Somehow the deer dragged itself about 20 yards before quitting for good.

I used to hunt regularly with many different 30-06s that have passed through my hands, and still do on occasion, but the 7x57s are easier on my diseased shoulders and kill just as well. The '06 shoots flatter with handloads in modern rifles, but the 7x57 shoots plenty flat enough.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.