Originally Posted by Salmonella
You guys know I get defensive when all the California bashing starts.
I just returned to my country home in Northern California from Wyoming.
Damn the weather is nice here.
While in Wyoming my 16 year old kid says to me "Dang dad, you just can't get away from other hunters here".
All easy access is jammed with dudes in orange.
Unless you have horses or backpack several miles in, you have company if you hunt public land.
EVERYONE hunts it seems like.
Every Pickup has a quad in back with guys wearing orange.
Utah is even worse, way worse.

Yeah the lefty freaks here suck, but western Washington is just as bad.
BUT, if you can find a nice chunk of property to live on here in the north, then get to know your neighbors, life is very good indeed.

Two buck tags a year (and easy to fill if you have connections), tons of turkeys, great waterfowl & pheasants in the rice fields.
NOTHING short of Alaska compared in the fishing dept till they closed salmon season...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...few_of_this_year_s_fish_pics#Post1048764

The salmon population has crashed before, I do hope it comes back again.
We still have steelhead, trout & ditch pickles though.

The thing with Cali is you can still make good enough wages to travel to your outdoor destinations, just be prepared to be hated because of the licence plate you wear....(I say fugg em)
You can be at the ocean, the waterfowl marshes or the snow covered alpine mountains in the same day
The urban areas of EVERY state simply drive me insane, Boise, SLC, Anchorage, Cheyenne, Denver, Missoula or San Francisco I don't care where it is it sucks.
You can still live a country lifestyle here in northern California and there are still good folks here, don't let the others fool you.
I suppose I would be elswhere if single, but my family keeps me here and I make the best of it.

I detest southern California, norther California should be a separate state. From the worst $hit bird people in the southern part of the state to the finest people you will ever meet in your life, northern folks are just down right special people. What happened? It must be the water that makes the difference.

The difference is so dramatic that you think you just entered the twilight zone.

I really don't know that much about the fishing, but the people up north are sure a fine lot of folks.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV