Mtnman1:

If I'm not mistaken the original intent at the outset was a choice between .375 WSM and .375 WSMM and it was to be a "wildcat".

Wildcat implies a cartridge that is not loaded by any commercial manufacturer. Unless something got past me Winchester hasn't produced a .375 WSM nor a .375 WSSM. The WSSM came out in January 2004 in .25 caliber and there are a couple of lesser calibers. The nomenclature .375 WSM can't be applied to a wildcat for two above reasons. It could be called a .375 CVSM *( Ciber Virus Short Magnum ).

So far as TC/Encore rifle barrels are concerned I believe that they make around 17 different calibers. The .375 caliber selection is .375 Winchester, .375 H&H , .375 JDJ.

Now - To produce a .375 WSM or WSSM type case one of the three cartridges would be acquired. Then it would need to be sent out to a gunsmith for re-chambering. However, two of the calibers above are already too long - so a rechambering to WSM or WSSM would produce a double shoulder stepped case with two different diameters.

One of the cases potentially could allow re-chambering to a WSM or WSSM lengthwise. However, the diameter of a WSM - WSSM is over 1/2 inch at the base *( 0.555 ) as well as the shoulder *( 0.538 ). Cutting a larger ID in a barrel made for the .375 Winchester would encroach into the barrels thickness at the shoulder area and possibly also at the base as well, thinning and weakening the the chamber section.

Since apparently no .375 WSSM exists a custom chambering reamer would be required. The reamer maker would require a drawing and specifications. After reaming reloading custom dies would be required.

All rifles require proofing. I'm sure you know what that means. Who would proof shoot it?

There would be no load data. New loads would need to be developed. Since the wildcatter would not have any expensive lab CUP or piezoelectric equipment he most likely would not know what pressures were being produced. He could chronograph velocities but that would be useless for determing pressure.

When the wildcatter developed sticky bolt lift where would his pressures be ?? Would the thinned barrel/chamber even survive proofing ? How many shots would it take to create hairline invisible fractures and fissures in the steel? Remember that upon each firing the case AND chamber both bulge out then collapse back.

I believe you, or some other poster, termed the TC/Encore an "excellent" choice *( For a .375 WSM - WSSM ). We will step back and give you the podium. Please expound on your reasons that it is "excellent".

We're all ears.

Bill Tibbe