Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Feeling pretty bad about letting the little Trapper Carbine seen in the thread below lay fallow this season. Moved the Aimpoint to my issued SBS...

Need to pic up an elevator for the rear sight and may put an XS front sight on it, and hope it works with these 50-year-old eyeballs.

Seafire or anyone, do you think going to a 125 or 110 bullet would get the velocity and tissue damage up to a useable level?

The several stories about standard loads just poking through are unsettling and I suspect the problem would be exacerbated by lower velocities from a 16-in. bbl.

Snubnosed Thutty Thutty

if you are having problems due to low velocity, in that 16 inch barrel, I can recommend some load data with RL7 and 110 grain bullets can get some MV of 2800 fps or better in 22 inch barrels... consult the Hodgdon # 26 manual..

for myself tho, I load SR 4759 in my 30/30s.. the 1966 purchased one isn't overly accurate unless with that powder, using MV's of 1900-2000 fps with a 150 grainer, and 1800 fps with a 170...

seems to work well in my two newer 30/30s..
I love loading this cartridge for nostalgia reasons..every time I see threads on it, I am still reminded, one of the rifles I'd love to have in chambered in it, is a Model 54 Win in 30/30... I could also warm up to a Savage 99 in one..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez