Originally Posted by boatanchor
someone(s) got offended on one of my previous posts when I called the 22-06 OVERBORE. to give you a more accurate assessment think of it as diminishing returns.

If that's what you meant by overbore, then I certainly understand the point you were trying to make. Much of the powder energy is wasted in cartridges like these, unless you're using a fantastically long barrel.

I think Ken Howell's approach has merit: use the big case with a slowish powder and enjoy high--but not highest--speeds at lower pressures. There are certainly limits to such an approach, but the fact that powders are readily available to do this in even a .22-06 makes me wince at the term overbore.

Your comments on grooving are quite interesting. Are the 3 groove barrels cut with deeper grooves than the 5's? I've never looked into these, and it's not obvious (to me) why the bullets should be weakened so much more by them.

Over on another form, one cartridge designer agrees with the comments given here on most bullets being weak at .22-06 speeds, but feels the 3 groove barrels are worth any disadvantages (for what it's worth).

I found a bit of history on this forum. I'll note Ackley's comments on barrel life may have had to do with his propensity to run at excessive pressures (and thus temperatures). The forum posts include a link to a GS Custom page on hunting with a .22-06 cartridge and solid copper bullets.

The .22-06 is a more interesting topic than I'd have thought (but I still don't want one).

Last edited by 2525; 04/25/10. Reason: other forums