dubePA, what sort of barrel life have you and other .22-06 shooters been getting?

Haven't shot mine enough lately to give a proper analysis (ran out of its favorite bullets), but the 1x9 twist Douglass already had a few thousand rounds down it, when it was a 220 Swift barrel from new.

With 65gr VLDs, my rifle would put all five into one enlarged hole @ 100 yds, hold about an inch @ 300 yds. With 60gr Vmax bullets, it'll do 1/2" to 5/8" @ 100 yards.

I do have some Sierra 65gr Game Kings (BT spitzers) for 7 to 10 twist barrels, but haven't tried them yet. Bearing surface is around .310, length is about .850. Listed BC is 303.

A bud that built heavy varminters, gave me the barrel. He went to a 28" Douglass 1x8 twist on his 22-06. My barrel was shortened to 26" via the rechambering,re-threading, which took out the original Swift throat and recrowned. He installed it on a Savage action I'd picked up.

My 1x9 twist does not much like anything heavier than 65grs, so far.

The bud that built mine, had a few thousand rounds through his 22-06 with zero ill effects. IIRC, the farthest he'd taken any woodchucks with it, was probably around 700 yards? I believe he was primarily shooting 75gr JLKs in it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.