A little while ago on this forum there was a thread about the whether to choose a 6.5x55 or a .257 Roberts.

I mentioned in one of my posts on the subject that it was pretty easy to safely get 3000 fps from a 115-grain bullet in the .257, whereupon I was of course challenged. I countered this by pointing out that most .257 Roberts data is very wimpy, and newer powders have changed things.

Well, I just got my latest Hodgdon Annual Manual and was browsing through it. In the .257 Roberts data the fastest load with the 115-grain Nosler Patition is listed at 3049 fps, and the powder is Hybrid H100V, the maximum charge 46.0 grains. This is from a 24" barrel, so still should be somewhere around 3000 in a 22" barrel.

The interesting thing about this data is that it isn't even +P. On fact the pressure for the maximum load is only 46,600 CUP, not anywhere near the 50,000+ CUP most modern cartridges are loaded to.

I haven't tried this load yet but intend to soon. And no, it isn't a misprint, since the 100-grain data shows a maximum velocity of 3205 fps with H100V.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck