Originally Posted by ruraldoc
John,

Inspired by your writing,I went out and bought a new 257 Roberts,a Kimber Select.

It functions just fine and shoots well too.

The first factory load that I tried was the Federal Premium with the 120 grain Partitions.

Three of them will hit in a little less than an inch and the chrony said they were going 2940 fps some 10 feet from the muzzle from the 22 inch barrel.

If Federal can get close to 3000 fps with a 120 grain bullet,I'm pretty sure the rest of us can get a 115 grain bullet there too.

In fact,rounds like the 257 Roberts,280 Remington,and 30-06 which have pressure limits in commercial ammo of 50,000 cup or less,generally respond very nicely to handloads which often can safely beat factory velocites.

On the other hand,if you try to beat factory velocity with a number of cartidges which have higher saami limits,like the 243,270,308,and the WSM series,you have to run some pretty spoooky pressures to get there.

Lots of people here understand the difference,but some folks just can't wrap their mind around it.

My 17-month old son, Jack, has a kimber montana 257bob/3.5-10 luppy and talleys - - one day in 8 or so years *bang*!~ grin

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan