Back a number of years ago I bought a Remington 14 1/2 from an elderly gentleman who had bought it through an ad in the AR back in the 30's. I remember seeing the ads (not at the time however) from Hudson in New York. They also advertised Winchester 1892 and 1886 models, as well as Colt New Services. I believe they would buy obsolete models and sell them out at what were then very reasonable prices.

The Remington was in 44/40, and in excellent condition, except for a scratch about an inch and a half long extending down and back from the ejection port. I loaded three or four rounds of reloads, and found they would not feed. The cartridges slid vertically up the face of the carrier in slots, and those slots were very snug. I then found out, as I was trying to pry the stuck cartridge out the carrier, where the scratch on the receiver was from, as it was joined by another, nearly identical.

I never did get around to shooting it, but sold it to a local gun dealer/gun smith who thought it would be ideal for wild pigs. I had told him about the feeding problem, but he was planning to use factory loads. He discovered that he could not get even a twelve inch group at fifty yards, and some of the bullets were not strikinng exactly head on. He measured the bore, and found it was so oversize that it would not be possible to chamber a cartridge with a sufficiently large bullet, even if you could solve the feeding problem.

I doubled the money I paid for it, and he made a profit on it, selling it to a collector who wasn't concerned about shooting it.