Originally Posted by Foxbat
Manning is guilty of treason, Wikileaks is not.

True. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I thought differently. All I said about Manning was that he was a human being with a conscience.

I'll say further that he did the right thing. Of course, the closer you are to a government, the more likely it is that you'll be imprisoned for doing the right thing, since every government depends for its survival on a lot of wrong things being done. Given that he had a conscience, I think he was a little silly for joining the military, and a lot silly for getting involved with intelligence.

Now, if Wikileaks is getting funding from an enemy of the United States, or if it can be proven that Wikileaks intentions are to weaken the United States through it's actions, then they should be considered an enemy of the U.S., but "treason" isn't really applicable.

Yes--except that I'd say "an enemy of the US government," since it's actually a good thing when the subjects of the US government know more about the crimes it's committing in their name.

Remember, folks like Muslim jihadists are told that the subjects of the US government are the ones in control of it; that's one of the reasons they attack civilians. If the government's subjects are being held accountable for the actions of the government, it stands to reason that they ought at least to know what those actions are.

Enemy of the government, friend to its subjects. Can we agree on that, at least?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867