Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Not a story; just what happened. Sharply quartering-away deer uphill from me, I was sidehilling on a steep slippery hillside and thought I could sneak it by the butt and get it behind the last rib. I didn't. Deer ran 50-75 yards with one leg flopping around behind him. Bad footing, tough angle, and- ultimatly- a poor decision shot by me myself and I, as proven by the results.

Now let's hear your story for how you justify an intentional shot that you absolutely know will wreck probably pushing 1/3rd of the meat, cause a stomach-turning mess, and cause needless suffering to the animal? For what, again? Oh yeah... a trophy.

I hate to jump in, its going so lovely... but if you think that a south end shot on a north bound deer wastes that much, you haven't done it correctly or with the right bullet. I've done it AND frontal chest shots which are the SAME shot, IE both travel the same path, and the deer are dead very quickly, no suffering etc... now... if you screw up the tail end shot and hit a ham... well you ruin a bit more deer, but not much with the right bullet.

Jeff R

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....