Originally Posted by ranger1
Most places in the lower 48 allow hunting without the use of a guide or outfitter. While some hunts require the use of an outfitter for NR hunters or those from another country, I was addressing the comments made by Mule Deer re: those who would sue the guy they are paying because a horse stepped on their foot or they got sick in camp. Rather pathetic! It seems that more and more people are under the impression that the only way for them to have a "good" hunt is to hire an outfitter. This simply isn't true in all cases. It is akin to handing the mechanic wrenches and then claiming to have fixed your own car. What about the skills involved in the process?! I'm fully aware that certain hunts require a guide/outfitter depending upon your residency status, however, most in the lower 48 don't. Even AK only requires a guide/outfitter for 3 species as far as I know.

New Mexico requires non res to be guided on Elk I believe?

Not forgetting this is the African forum, DIY unguided hunts by non residents in most of Africa is nearly universally impossible...

Legalities aside, for the average joe to outfit a hunt, travel a thousand miles across America to hunt in an unfamiliar area within a limited time window for say Elk and stand even a small chance of being succesful is extremely difficult.

Granted many people who book through guides/outfitters are actually trying to buy guaranteed trophey success, and I agree that is wrong attitude, but its eaqually wrong to tar everybody with the same brush..

Last edited by Pete E; 03/07/11.