It's really quite silly arguing guided vs unguided. I hunted mnt goat and brown bear solo for years while living in Alaska, but now have to hire a guide to hunt the same mountain I've hunted many times by myself. Not too happy about that, so I just apply for goat tags in the lower 48 and hope for the best. Problem is if I actually want to hunt goats, I have to go where the tags are. That means a guide. Don't like it but thats the way it is.

Some folks live in the wrong part of the country and have too many responsibilities to take more than one week a year off for a hunt. Doesn't make for the best DIY hunts, usually.

I'd love to still be living in Alaska. If I was I probably would have never used a guide in my life, but as the say stuff happens.

As far as honesty of booking agents and contracts, I've only used Atcheson. I've never had any problem getting in writing what was agreed upon between me, Atcheson, and the outfitter. There are many booking agents out there, but why would you risk your money and hunting oppurtunity to some fly by night operation. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess some are always looking to save a buck, no matter what it costs them in the end.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.