Frankly, I think it's a cult thing. The .270 is so ingrained with the O'Connor cult, and has been ballyhoo'ed for so long, that there is no range of emotions concerning the .270 and O'Connor...you either hate both or you love both. Those who love the .270 are so ardent in their defense of it, and those who hate it are so ardent in their disdain for it, that it's almost impossible to have an intelligent civilized discussion about it one way or another.

Both sides forget that we are dealing with a continuum here. There are areas of overlap between the .25-06 and the .270, and between the .270 and the 7mm's and .30-06. The truth of it is: it doesn't really matter. You put a decent bullet from any of them into the right place and things tip over. But we get our ego's involved..'somebody dissed my favorite cartridge..harumph harumph" or "there somebody goes again defending that it-ain't-all-that cartridge" and we get spontaneous combustion of a white-hot debate. There may be some transference going on here as well..it may be that .270 detractors don't really care about the .270 so much as they just don't/didn't like O'Connor, or like O'Connor's fervent advocacy of the .270.

Humans love to compete. We do it everywhere and in everything..sports, business, politics, war. It's not surprising that it carries over to discussons/arguments over cartridges in general, and our favorites in particular.

But there's no reason to get worked up over it, or to engender animus. Like I said..it doesn't really matter. There is no holy grail here, no ultimate truth. We're all right..we're all wrong. The point is to come together on here, to meet up on the net with our friends, and talk about things we like. Of course personalities will clash once in a while, and we have those we prefer and those who annoy us, because it's a community, even if only a cyber one. But I don't think I'd get all jacked up over anything said on here. In the ultimate scheme of things, it don't matter a dribble. You have to keep a sense of humor and stay philosophical about things or you're gonna die too young. This ain't life and death stuff, guys.

Last edited by DELGUE; 03/22/11.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~