Originally Posted by goose2044
If I see two identical rifles on the shelf at a gun shop, one in 270, one in 25-06, the 270 is just not cool in any way while the 25-06 seems just awesome.

Jackoff OC ruined the 270 for me, not because of him or his writings but because of his followers that are still ignorantly stroking his stiff...

I know a lot of intelligent shooters of the 270, but unfortunately there are just too many 270 shooters that absolutely love the round and call it the best ever; trouble is that they have no idea why. For that reason, I can't join the 270 camp. I know, I know, my loss.

I have the same feelings for the .270, but it started back in high school. Every idiot that ever claimed to make a 700 yard shot, one shot kill on a running deer happened to do it with a .270. Their .270 shot so much flatter than a Remmington or Winchester .270 that they didnt even have to hold high at 500 yards. An average idiot becomes a superhero by having a relative that owns a .270.

I have guns in .25-06, .280, .30-06. I did finally buy a .270, so I could tear it apart and have a custom built on the action... but it wont stay a .270.

To make a long ramble a little longer, I would go with the .25-06, its a fun little round and pretty versatile. If bigger game was in my future, I would move up to the .280 or .30-06.