Originally Posted by BLRNut
I have a 50th aniversery coming up soon and wife has decided to actually Bless me with a new rifle. I have decided on the rifle manufacturer, action, and barrel length. NOW the question has come down to caliber. I have narrowed it down to these two:
1. 270 Win
2. 25-06
The rifle will be used for southern whitail deer which over the last 10 yrs my 100 = kills have averaged 120-125 lbs pre-field-dressed weight. No Giants I know but Gooooood eating size. Range of kills have been from 45-280 yds. I will be mounting a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 scope. So scope is no question.

Please stay within these caliber choices. So lets Go Campfire folks help the Ole man out.
Since deer are your quarry, get the 25-06. So far in this thread we have established that both will do a great job on deer so get the lesser recoiling of the two. You sound like your hunts will be fairly local so ammunition availability should not be an issue. I've never shot a deer with a 25-06 but have had equal success and experience with a 243 and a 270 and since the 25-06 falls between the two, there is no doubt in my mind that it will surely get the job done well. If it wasn't for these internet squabbles about this kind of stuff, there wouldn't be much use for the forums. These "discussions" are always filled with nit picking, extreme thought process, and some answers that seem to get those with thin skin's panties in a wad. As long as you are shooting what works for you, why on earth would anyone get bent out of shape over your choice????? Enjoy the new rifle.