I think the opposite. When a boys grows into man, he starts to rationalize his ideas. The 7mm Mauser is an example of refined taste and acceptance for the phrase, "enough is enough".

I used my first 7x57 in a Winchester Ingwe 70 when released about '82 or so. I then went into magnum fever with gusto, until about the mid 90's I started to think about all the cartridges I had used and how they performed overall, rather than in single incidences, which is a failure of a phobia.

The cartridges that hit the top of my list were the .30/06, which I was still using and the 7x57 for which a vacancy could be filled when an old English Gentleman who was a retired Mining engineer who worked in 22 countries, but mostly in Africa.

He had a few rifles to sell and I bought 2 Rigby's off him, a double and the .275 Rigby which I still have, although I grew week a few months back and offered it for sale.

The 7mm Mauser may not make you feel too hairy chested when in over confident and vocal company, but you will never hang your head in shame when using it simply because it works and will continue to work on any game as long as you are a hunter.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.