The INA revolvers are well made and should be comparable in strength to a S&W I or J frame in .32 caliber. A revolver chambered for .32 S&W Long will also safely use .32 S&W or .32 Colt New Police Cartridges (if you can find them).

Some INA revolvers apparently did not have forcing cones cut into the breech end of their barrels, and might spit lead to some extent.

The .32 S&W Long is easy to reload and very thrifty on powder. It has a reputation as a very accurate caliber and was used quite a bit as a target cartridge in its heyday.

It can be safely loaded to a bit more power than the factory loads, but don't try to make a magnum out of it. An 85 to 115 grain bullet is appropriate. Jacketed bullets are unlikely to expand at the velocities possible with the .32. I have loaded for 2 different .32's, a S&W I-Frame Hand Ejector and a Ruger Single Six.

The factory load is a 98 grain bullet at about 700 fps. Handloading can increase that to about 900 fps without straining a good revolver. However, there is no pressing reason to go much hotter than factory load levels for plinking or small game hunting.

As a defensive weapon, even with safely increased handloads, the .32 is certainly better than nothing, and was an accepted police caliber prior to the 1960's, especially for detectives and plainclothesmen. However, it will not be as effective as a .380 or .38, no matter what you use in it.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 10/05/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...