Originally Posted by jwp475

The agents in the 86 shoot out in Miami were only allowed to carry weapons that were issued to them and that they were qualified to carry. The ammo for the 9mm semi auto pistols was the Winchester 115 grain silver tip. The ammo for the revolvers was the 158 gran LSWHP 38 special +P. They were were not allowed to carry 357 mag ammo in their revolvers

ColeYounger and jwp475, I was mistaken. I did confirm that ALL the agents at that dust-up were carrying ISSUED 158 gr +P SWCHP. I have a copy of my notes taken at a meeting at which one of the agents spoke to the effect that "some" of the agents/special agents on that task force may have "sometimes" carried unauthorized/non-issued 357 Mag ammo, but officially none of them had 357 Mag ammunition in their revolvers that day.

Originally Posted by jwp475

To deny that the ammo used that day exhibited inadequate penetration is, well ridiculous

OK, let's eliminate the double negative: are you saying that the ammunition used that day exhibited inadequate penetration?

If so, which round(s) do speak of? SOME of the bullets fired by FBI agents didn't do a very good job, but others worked pretty well.

If we review the autopsy photos and xrays in the Anderson book, which you posted earlier, we see that Agent Dove's 115 gr Silvertip JHP penetrated at least 14 inches of flesh on its path through Platt's right upper arm and the right side of his chest. The 115 gr STHP fired by Orrantia or Risner from across the street that shattered Platt's radius and rendered his right thumb useless certainly didn't need to penetrate any deeper than it did. The 6 158 gr SWCHP's from Mireles' revolver fired as he advanced on the dying Platt didn't penetrate very well, but then, they really didn't need to.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars