Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Kevin,
My agency, the Kentucky State Police, has had very good results out of the Speer Gold Dot 155 grain .40 S&W out of Glock 35's. I wasn't part of the selection process on that particular pistol, but as I understand it, there was a staunch member or two of the selection committee who wanted to stay as close to the velocities we used to get out of our Smith and Wesson 1076's and 180 grain Gold Dots. Without a doubt, we ended up with the 1076 because of it's selection by the FBI. At any rate, we kept them far longer than the FBI did, and we shot lots of stuff with them. These days, I think most are better armed with the G35 and the 155 grain GoldDots. For my own use, I sorta miss my 10mm. Although I'd probably ask for 165 grain Gold Dots over the 180's we used to shoot.

CT,

I like the 155�s in the .40 cal personally and I consider them better for home protection and possibly better for concealed carry on the street by civilians. The 180s offer a bit better penetration which is why they�re king for LE but I see nothing wrong with your department�s selection; I�d certainly feel adequately armed.

As to the 1076�I always liked that pistol. Always thought of it as a �shooters� 10mm, very well thought out and built Ford tough. It�s heavy as a boat anchor so most cops didn�t like that, And the newer .40�s pretty much made it obsolete within a couple of years of its inception. Still, the 1076 is a great piece.