I think the Scout rifle is an interesting concept, but you don�t have to have a �Scout� rifle to do the same thing. The Scout Rifle is a compromise weapon in that it�s not perfect for any one job, but it does a number of jobs pretty damn well. I�ll agree with TAK that the Scout is accurate enough to be a counter sniper rifle, especially with a more conventional scope. I don�t see any actual need for the LER scope, and when I had a Scout to play with, I compared it to a conventionally mounted Leupold VX-II 2-7 on low power. If you kept both eyes open, it was just as fast and just as handy as the LER. But the LER allows the use of stripper clips with military action rifles that that�s awfully nice; almost worth moving the scope forward.

In my former home town there was a group of guys who competed in a �Scout Rifle� course they had designed at a local range, with targets from 15-400 yards out. Manual action guns were required, because light AR�s would always win otherwise. The guy who waxed everyone�s arse every time had a CZ-427 in 7.62x39 with (IIRC) a Leupold 1.5-6 scope conventionally mounted. He shot Wolf ammo, but because he shot Wolf ammo, he shot his rifle a LOT. He didn�t win because he had the best equipment, he won because he was better trained. And equipment discussions are always interesting, but match a well trained guy with the Steyr Scout against a guy with a semi-auto and I�d have to say the well trained guy with the Steyr probably has the edge. It�s almost always the Indian, not the arrow.