Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the reason I started this thread was to get the final answer on 9mm vs 40 S&W, it looks to me like the handgun cartridges of choice had little effect on the the outcome and if the 40 has been used probably wouldn't have even mattered. but double stack mags in say a full size glock would have made a big difference.

it was a different time back then and reliable semi autos were just coming on the market. yeah the 1911 was reliable at that time but only with ball ammo and as a result never caught on with LE agencies. the real problem like everyone is saying is rifle fire against pistol fire.

Cumminscowboy � You should read the FBI�s take on it: http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

You can debate every aspect of this shooting, and many very knowledgeable people on the subject have come to the same conclusion as you. But there have been many knowledgeable people who have come to the conclusion that it does matter. Some say the FBI used the Silvertip as the �scapegoat�. I think the FBI could have deflected some heat, but to just dismiss the fact that the FBI made a huge fundamental change in ammunition selection based on this incident, I think that would be an error in judgment. Like them or not, when the FBI does something they tend to be rather thorough.

Penetration is king, simple as that. But all must be balanced because too much penetration can be just as much of a liability as too little. You need to also consider that the FBI�s criteria is specifically for law enforcement, and some cartridges deemed sufficient for law enforcement could prove to have too much penetration for other applications such as home defense or concealed carry on the street. Since law enforcement often has to shoot through intermediate barriers, and citizens are rarely involved in a shooting that isn�t face to face, should make you think.

As to 9mm vs. .40, I�ve come to the conclusion that either cartridge will get the job done; so pick the one that blows your skirt up. Once you have made the choice, match the ammunition (mostly by weight) to the job. Let�s assume you�re limiting your choices to JHP�s made by major reputable manufacturers.

For law enforcement I would recommend bullet weights of:
9mm: 147
.40: 180
.45: 230

For concealed carry on the street:
9mm: 124-147
.40: 155-180
.45: 200-230

For home defense
9mm: 115-124
.40: 135-155
.45: 185-200

Now consider these are just rough recommendations based on �typical� scenarios. Each person needs to evaluate their threat level and the scenarios they are likely to encounter. I�m sure many would dispute my rule of thumb for bullet weight, but this is MY rule of thumb, not theirs.

Kevin,
My agency, the Kentucky State Police, has had very good results out of the Speer Gold Dot 155 grain .40 S&W out of Glock 35's. I wasn't part of the selection process on that particular pistol, but as I understand it, there was a staunch member or two of the selection committee who wanted to stay as close to the velocities we used to get out of our Smith and Wesson 1076's and 180 grain Gold Dots. Without a doubt, we ended up with the 1076 because of it's selection by the FBI. At any rate, we kept them far longer than the FBI did, and we shot lots of stuff with them. These days, I think most are better armed with the G35 and the 155 grain GoldDots. For my own use, I sorta miss my 10mm. Although I'd probably ask for 165 grain Gold Dots over the 180's we used to shoot.

why the glock 35, isn't that more of a competition gun, or range gun?? why not a glock 22 or 23??